[MLton] Versioning and hosting

Matthew Fluet matthew.fluet at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 11:33:11 PST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley at terpstra.ca>wrote:

> I received a FTBFS (fails to build from source) debian bug #560623 [1]
> today, which turns out to be a patch compatibility bug already fixed by
> Matthew (r7369). (BTW, what the hell?! patch is as old and stable a unix
> tool as they come; what genius changed its behaviour?)

Agreed that changing patch's behavior is quite bizarre.

> In the process of fixing this I noticed that svn browsing is broken [2].

Just a couple days ago, Stephen disabled viewsvn.cgi because something was
causing many copies to be spawned and overload the machine.  We wanted to
check the apache logs before turning it back on.

Before I upload a new version of the debian package and go through the
> hassle of getting all the ports to build cleanly again (they are currenly
> all green! [3]), I thought I'd also address bug #559014<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=559014>[4], which is a complaint about the version number I picked for the MLton
> snapshot; I called it 20091107.
>
> Since MLton doesn't use version numbers, I can't really call it 1.99+r7369
> to make it clear it's a prerelease snapshot of version 2.0. However, my
> current version name is a bad choice because it implies that 20091107 was an
> "official" release. The best I can propose is 20091211+r7369. Suggestions /
> complaints?

Would something as simple as "20091211pre+r7369" be sufficiently indicative
of a pre-release?

Of course, if those two regressions on osx were fixed, maybe we'd have an
> official release and the point would be moot. BTW, a colleague of mine
> reports everything works under Snow Leopard except the regressions world5
> and real. A small fix was needed which I'll commit shortly.

I think I've got the two performance regressions I mentioned last time
solved.  I only know of the world5 regression failure on Leopard
(x86-darwin); I wasn't sure that it was a failure on Snow Leopard
(x86-darwin).  What did you need to fix?