[MLton] Re: [MLton-commit] r7386

Matthew Fluet matthew.fluet at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 08:11:09 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Wesley Terpstra <wesley at mlton.org> wrote:
> Snow Leopard real regression no longer differs from normal x86.

> D   mlton/trunk/regression/real.x86-darwin.ok

> Deleted: mlton/trunk/regression/real.x86-darwin.ok

Weird.  I always assumed that the differences in the real regression
on darwin were due to differences in the implementation of libm.
Because MacOSX doesn't run on any pre-SSE2 Intel chips, the MacOSX
delivered libm could be compiled to use SSE2 (but using x87 for the
calling convention); seems to be no good reason to go to an x87-only
implementation for Snow Leopard.

Linux, on the other hand, does need to support x87 only chips, so
presumably that libm uses x87 instructions exclusively.