[MLton] Re: Windows 7 x64 vs MLton r7999

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Sat Jul 4 09:29:47 PDT 2009

Some progress!

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley at terpstra.ca>wrote:
> * A self-compile of MLton trips over the use of "mlton -stop f" in
mlton/Makefile

Still unresolved.

* msys uses an rxvt.exe which does not work under Windows7. Using msys
> -norxvt fixed this. I'll either modify the msys.bat to disable rxvt.exe or
> find a fixed rxvt.exe.

It works just fine without rxvt.exe, so I've gone ahead with that. This file
was always giving us warnings anyway (it violates some windows logo
requirement or another).

> * Windows7 complains vehemently about installing MLton-7999.msi because
> it's from an "unknown publisher". I need to learn how to sign MSI files;
> this might require acquiring an official MLton signing certificate.

A code signing certificate costs 200EUR! I think we'll just let the user
click 'yes install anyway'. :P

> * Windows7 appears to treat some file extensions as dangerous.

Fixed.

> * I noticed that we don't strip executables created by MLton.

I've made the .bat file auto-strip, since that's what non-unix savy folks
will be using. The shell script mlton does not strip.

* I'm investigating including a Win64 toolchain in the MSI with a MLton
> cross-target.

I've succeeded in including this into one package. After trimming fat, it's
only 10MB bigger, so I think it makes sense to include both win32/64 in the
same package.

The only regressions compared to mingw32 are the failing MLton.size tests.
They fail because the regression script can't tell the difference between
win32/64.