[MLton] Re: [MLton-commit] r6699

Henry Cejtin henry.cejtin at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 14 17:42:04 PDT 2009

I  don't  know  about Cygwin, but the standard Unix method to protect strings
from shell expansion is as follows:

    Replace every single quote in the string with the string
            '\''

    Put a single quote before the start and a single quote after the end.

The  idea  is  that  you enter single quote mode at the start and exit at the
end, but inside, any single quote is replaced by

    Single quote to exit single quote mode.
    \' to actually add a single quote, backslash protected.
    Single quote to re-enter single quote mode.

I would be very surprised if the Cygwin shell didn't handle this correctly.