[MLton] Re: [MLton-commit] r6699

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Thu Jun 18 04:58:57 PDT 2009

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 4:34 AM, Matthew Fluet <fluet at tti-c.org> wrote:
>
>> MLton.Process.create (on Cygwin) has used cygwin_conv_to_full_win32_path
>> since your 20041202 patch
>
> Oh. :) From your examples I thought it was using windows paths, not cygwin.

True, my examples were using a simple C program that didn't bother with
the conversion, so I used windows paths.  Also, it seems that
cygwin_conv_to_full_win32_path is a nop (or acts simply as a to absolute
path) if the input looks like a windows path; so MLton.Process.create
would actually accept an explicit windows path.

>> But, I'm not convinced that it is worth it.
>
> That's a reasonable position. The whole useWindowsProcess was implemented
> AFAIK because we were using VirtualAlloc instead of mmap. At this pointis
> there still any advantage to using VitrualAlloc? Use-mmap seems to work
> quite reliably. It might be reasonable to just use fork()/exec() for
> Process.create and eliminate the native memory management for cygwin.

I might investigate defaulting to use-mmap.