[MLton] Possible bug in MLton-7230.msi for MinGW and 64 bit questions

David Hansel hansel at reactive-systems.com
Sun Nov 1 17:44:58 PST 2009

Hi Wesley,

> [...]
> Why are you setting "global=true"? Do you load subsequent libraries
> that depend on earlier loaded libraries?

This part of our code is very old and I do not know why the setting was
chosen.  Changing the calls to "global=false" does indeed fix the
crashes with the original constants in place.  Thank you very much for
your help.

> [...]
>> Also,  from the web site it sounds like the MLton-7230.msi version supports
>> generating Windows 64 bit executables,  is that true?  If so,  how do we tell
>> MLton to generate a 64 bit executable?
>
> mlton -target x86_64-w64-mingw32 your-mlb-file-here.mlb

Calling mlton -target x86_64-w64-mingw32 -verbose 2 test.sml
for a "Hello World" style test.sml gives me the following error:

openIn c:\program files (x86)\mlton\lib\mlton\x86_64-w64-mingw32\sizes:

Do I need some additional files or settings?

One other question:  Are FFI calls supported in the Win64 executables
produced by MLton?  Are there any special considerations regarding
64 bit FFI?

Thanks again,

David

--