[MLton] Possible bug in MLton-7230.msi for MinGW and 64 bit questions

David Hansel hansel at reactive-systems.com
Mon Nov 2 18:00:20 PST 2009

Hi again

On 11/1/2009 11:09 PM, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:02 AM, David Hansel
> <hansel at reactive-systems.com> wrote:
>> Sorry for the trivial questions so far.  Is there any 64 bit specific
>> documentation that I am missing?
>
> There is no 64-bit specific documentation. It's exactly the same as 32
> bit, though.
>
>> c:/program files (x86)/mlton/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/4.4.1/../../../..
>> /x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -ldl
>> (this is of course caused by the "-link-opt -ldl" parameter to MLton
>> but if I leave that out then I get missing symbols).
>
> The problem is that the dlfcn library from google is a 32-bit library.
> You need a 64-bit library. This is a general problem; all libraries
> you use must also be 64-bit.
>
> Try the newest msi from <http://mlton.org/Experimental>. I included a
> 64-bit dlfcn in that build. It might not work, though. Please report
> back if it does (or does not) work for you.
>
> However, any other libraries you use you will have to find 64-bit
> versions of yourself.

Thanks for providing the 64-bit dlfcn.  We are aware of the 32-bit vs.
64-bit library incompatibilities (in fact the need to work together
with a 64-bit 3rd party library is partially driving our 64-bit
development).

We were able to compile our code as a 64-bit application and some
initial testing shows the FFI calls appear to work fine too (no
problems with the 64-bit dlfcn so far).

While most of our ML code appears to work fine,  we do have a
problem with one (rather large) module.  When compiled using the
native code-generator, the resulting executable will crash on startup.
However,  when compiled with the "C" code-generator the executable
works without problems.  The other parts of our code work fine for
both native and "C" code-generators.  We will try to break up the
module to see if we can narrow down the offending code.  Do you have
any other suggestions on how to debug a problem like this?  Are there
any (rough) estimates about the runtime performance penalty for
using the C code generator?

Thanks again,

David

--