[MLton] latest MLton segfault in gmp

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Fri Oct 9 07:56:18 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Matthew Fluet <mtf at cs.rit.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Henry Cejtin wrote:
>
>> The  make  couldn't finish because the resulting mlton-compile segfaults
>> compiling mllex.mlb.  In fact, that mlton-compile always segfaults, even
>> compiling  a  hello-world.sml.   The gdb traceback shows that it died in
>> __gmpz_mul_2exp().
>>
>> The version of gmp that I have is 2:4.3.1+dfsg-3.

I have reproduced this problem. Then I copied my svn/HEAD compiler from
sarge to squeeze and it segfaulted as well. Something in squeeze has
changed. The MinGW32 port self-compiles using 4.3.1 and debian hasn't
patched gmp in any relevant way.

 Can you run through the regression suite with mlton-20070826?

Here are the highlights:

testing flexrecord.2:
Type error: actual and formal not of same type
actual: ('a_4068 * nat) * (nat * nat)
formal: (nat * nat) * (nat * nat)
expression: ZZZ_f x_0
unhandled exception: TypeError
compilation of flexrecord.2 failed with -type-check true

real-algsimp (which appears to be a fix added around r6241).
1a2
> true
3,4c4
< false
< false
---
> true
... another new regression

Error: test-create.sml 42.53.
  Function applied to incorrect argument.
    expects: [Unix.exit_status]
    but got: [?.PosixProcess.exit_status]
    in: statusToString status
... also a fix since 2007.

testing thread-switch-share
1,2c1,2
< size1 >= size2 = true
< sum1 = sum2 = true
---
> ./bin/regression: line 28: 13263 Segmentation fault      "./$f"
> Nonzero exit status.
testing thread-switch-size
1c1,2
< !rs > 0 = true
---
> ./bin/regression: line 28: 13301 Segmentation fault      "./$f"
> Nonzero exit status.
... more bugs fixed since 2007.

testing weak.2
DeepFlatten.replaceVar global_0
compilation of weak.2 failed with -type-check true
... not sure about this one?