[MLton] latest MLton segfault in gmp

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Sun Oct 11 07:15:31 PDT 2009

Before we change MLton's default alignment, I think there is another
question that needs to be answered: is gcc's behaviour correct? I assume you
(Matthew) read the amd64 ABI. What exactly are the rules for alignment of
pointers/word64s? I assumed that they can be 4-byte aligned on amd64, but
perhaps being inside an array requires they be 8-byte aligned?

If gcc is correct to assume that arrays containing word64s should be 8-byte
aligned, then we should definitely move to -align 8 on all amd64 targets.
However, if gcc is mistaken, then we should probably file a bug against gcc
and leave -align 4 as is.