[MLton] Re: allocateRegisters.toLiveness absurdly slow

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Sun Sep 13 12:49:21 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley at terpstra.ca>wrote:

> I have a project where allocateRegisters.toLiveness takes 220s out of a
> total build time of 240s. I'm not sure what exactly causes this...

In case it's not obvious, this only happens with the x86/amd64 codegens. C
and bytecode compile just fine. I'd try and solve it myself, but I haven't a
clue where to even begin. That 240s total was on the fastest machine
available to me; on my laptop it takes 20 minutes... What algorithm is
toLiveness using? Does it have exponential complexity in the number of
variables?