[MLton] target-map considered harmful

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Thu Jan 7 14:36:34 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Matthew Fluet <matthew.fluet at gmail.com> wrote:
> That seems like a fine solution.  I would suggest that we put all of
> the targets within a single "target" directory of the lib directory.
> That would make it easy to find all the targets.
>
> It might also be good to move the c-types.sml file into the
> target-specific directory.  Then a target would be entirely self
> contained.

I've attached a patch which does this and committed two orthogonal
(but necessary) changes to svn/HEAD.

As you can see in the patch, I've moved the target directories into a
'targets' sub-folder in the mlton lib directory. The OS and
Architecture are listed in the files 'os' and 'arch' respectively in
the appropriate target folder. Finally, I moved c-types.sml into an
'sml' folder for the given target. The directory layout looks now
like:

terpstra at orange:~/mlton/build/lib$ find targets/
targets/
targets/self
targets/self/sml
targets/self/sml/c-types.sml
targets/self/include
targets/self/include/c-types.h
targets/self/arch
targets/self/libgdtoa.a
targets/self/libgdtoa-pic.a
targets/self/constants
targets/self/libmlton.a
targets/self/sizes
targets/self/libgdtoa-gdb.a
targets/self/os
targets/self/libmlton-pic.a
targets/self/libmlton-gdb.a

Most of the changes were to the Makefile.