[MLton] past and future of mlton.org

Matthew Fluet matthew.fluet at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 09:26:55 PST 2010

As some may have noticed or inferred, there was an issue with
mlton.org (website, mailing lists, SVN, etc.) over the weekend.  The
long and short of it is that there was some kind of disk problem with
the mlton.org hosting service, but they were able to restore the
virtual private server (VPS) without any data loss and all services
appear to be functioning normally.

Nonetheless, it provided the opportunity to consider and to experiment
with alternative hosting solutions.  Stephen was able to put together
a Google Groups for mlton.org that could host mlton at mlton.org and
mlton-user at mlton.org and also a Google Sites for mlton.org that could
host www.mlton.org, and for a short time over the weekend had DNS
configured to point there.  Below is the thread of discussion about
moving the mlton.org services to an alternative hosting solution.

I think that Stephen's argument is correct: administering a VPS is a
significant overhead, and it holds things back because no one has the
time to do the admin right.  (And, even if someone had the time to do
the admin at the present time, they may not in the future.)  The big
advantage of hosting under Google (or Sourceforge, or ...) is that the
admin is amortized over all hosted projects, to the point where
individual project developers need not concern themselves with the
admin.  Switching to a DVCS was mentioned on the mailing list a few
months ago; its something to consider again, since a major drawback to
switching was the up-front admin of setting up a different VCS.

Thoughts?