[MLton] svn/HEAD has regressions

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley at terpstra.ca
Sun May 2 05:40:41 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley at terpstra.ca>wrote:

> amd64-debian.
>
> I thought it might be bad RAM, so I reran and saw exactly the same effect.
> Perhaps something to do with debian/sid? The machine also has 64GB of RAM if
> that is relevant. I'll try a debootstrap of sid chroot on my 4GB debian box
> this weekend to see what happens.

I've tried debian/lenny on that same 64GB machine, and it built clean. I
then used the regression free mlton built by debian/lenny in debian/sid, and
it passed. On a hunch, I then rebuilt ONLY the runtime using debian/sid and
immediately got regressions.

My conclusion? gcc 4.4.3-9 is miscompiling our runtime, while 4.3.2-1.1
(lenny) and 4.4.3-2 (last sid upload) do not. I'll try to narrow down which
object file in particular causes the problem.