[MLton] revisiting HTMLDOC

Matthew Fluet matthew.fluet at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 08:16:59 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Adam Goode <adam at spicenitz.org> wrote:
> It has been a while since I looked at things, but I wonder if it is
> possible to remove MLton's doc dependency on HTMLDOC. HTMLDOC is
> fairly buggy and is a lot of work to maintain as a dependency to MLton
> in Fedora.
>
> My understanding is that we build a PDF version of the MoinMoin pages
> using HTMLDOC. Perhaps there is a better way now?

I don't think that anyone has actively looked at building the PDF
documentation using an alternate tool.  The building of the PDF
documentation is predicated upon finding a working htmldoc command
(see <src>/Makefile), so it isn't a hard dependency.  Since we also
include the HTML pages as documentation in the release, I don't think
that it is a big deal to omit the PDF documentation.

That said, a migration of mlton.org content will probably necessitate
a change in documentation tools, so perhaps we should be on the
lookout for something that natively could generate both HTML and PDF.