Which MinGW version is recommended?

Anoq of the Sun anoq@HardcoreProcessing.com
Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:24:39 +0300

Hello!

I would like to ask which version of MinGW I should consider using
for the Win32 cross-compilation port of MLton?

The MinGW version I have been using myself until now is a very old
version from the SDL website (once upon a time). Their current
webpage about cross-compilation is this - but I'm not sure if this
is the same old version or a newer one:
http://www.libsdl.org/extras/win32/cross/README.txt

The latest version on the MinGW website is based on a 3.2.3 GCC
compiler - but Brent Fulgham tells me that these 3.2 GCC-series
are unstable. So I really have second thoughts about using this.

It seems that the bin/build-cross-gcc script in MLton uses GCC 2.95.3.
I think I would feel a lot more comfortable using something like this
GCC-version. Maybe GCC 2.95.4 would be acceptable since I just
happen to have compiled my 2.4.21 kernel with it with success?
(2.4.19 has serious problems BTW with it's virtual memory
performance - if you are using this: Upgrade to 2.4.21 ASAP :)

I don't know what you think?
Anyone who has any good or bad GCC / MinGW experiences to share? :)

Cheers
--
http://www.HardcoreProcessing.com