MinGW version information

Anoq of the Sun anoq@HardcoreProcessing.com
Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:32:49 +0300

Hello again!

I have concluded that:
The old MinGW I have installed is a prebuilt version (built my
Mummit Khan) based on GCC-2.95.2 and glibc2.1.
It works splendidly! (even though the assembler has a limitation
which prevents it from compiling large programs with the C-backend
using some early versions of MLton which didn't split the assembler
files into many smaller files... for later MLton versions it
should be fine I suppose - even with the C-backend).

The latest version on the SDL website that I posted a link for:
http://www.libsdl.org/extras/win32/cross/README.txt

Is also built by Mummit Khan and is based on GCC-2.95.3-6 and
glibc2.2. I believe that this has fixed the problem with the
assembler limitation too.

I just installed this on another machine without problems. It's
just to unpack a tar.gz file and set a path in the shell to
to binaries so that these will be used instead of the normal gcc.

So these 2 binaries together makes a good couple of
prebuilt compilers for both glibc2.1 and glibc2.2.

The MinGW site still has links for versions based on GCC-2.95.3-8:
http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml

This also seems to be what the current bin/build-cross-gcc in
MLton is made for (even though there are minor updates here and
there - e.g. binutils is now 2.13.90 instead of 2.12 as in the
build-cross-gcc script).

I will try and go through building with this script
(and to update the script).

Cheers
--
http://www.HardcoreProcessing.com