[MLton-user] Which MinGW version is recommended?

Brent A. Fulgham bfulg@pacbell.net
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:10:50 -0700

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 8:55 am, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> >   CM = $(NAME).cm
> >
> > This should work fine when you're compiling the sources that come with
> > the MLton binary package, since the MLton structure is the same in
> > both versions, making the stubs unnecessary.
>
> This build is even worse than before -- it segfaults when the newly-built
> MLton tries to build the basis:
> Note:  This was done with GCC 3.2.3, so I'll try again with GCC 2.95 to see
> what happens.

Just to reply to myself, GCC 2.95 does in fact produce working executables.
So GCC 3.2+ is doing something unpleasant that MLton doesn't like.  MLton
is in good company on this issue -- I'll check if GCC 3.3 resolves the issue
(it has for other compilers).

With this update I've been able to build some partially-working Mingw stuff.
Hopefully I'll have something self-hosting in a few more days.

-Brent