[MLton-user] Unicode support, port from Moscow ML

Stephen Weeks MLton-user@mlton.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:31:27 -0800

> > 	http://mlton.org/Unicode
> >
> > where we will add more information as the support is added.
>
> Yes, I know that page, but there is no release plans there...
> Sorry, that's maybe stupid question, but why it will be so long? Not
> enough time or SML definition just know nothing about that?

Yes on both counts.  The Unicode support is being added on a volunteer
basis in the midst of lots of other improvements.  And the SML
Definition and Basis Library are almost silent on Unicode support.
So, we're doing design as well as implementation.

> Does I understand right, that now I even could not store unicode
> (utf-8) char/string?

Correct, in that you can't write one down a UTF-8 string in the source
of a program.  Of course, you can use Word8.word vector and write your
own encoding/decoding library to manipulate such strings.  But if you
can wait, we will provide one.

> By the way, what about SWIG (http://www.swig.org/) support? This will
> add lot's of software! OCaml support it...

I have no objection to someone adding SWIG support.  It's not on my
personal todo list, however.  We will be doing our annual survey soon,
so you can express your desires there too.  I will consider spending
some time on any of the most requested items.