[MLton-user] Java and MLton

Stephen Weeks sweeks@sweeks.com
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 07:23:22 -0700

> Has anyone tried accessing a MLton module called from a Java program via
> JNI?  Any thoughts on feasibility?
>
> JNI is Java's FFI or native interface to C.

The infrastructure for calling MLton from C is there.  One thing
that's missing from MLton is the ability to generate a library that
can be linked with other programs.  I don't think there's anything
hard to fix this, just work to be done is in unbundling MLton's
assumption, used in various places, that it is generating the "main"
program.  Were I to add such a feature, I would certainly try to make
the library interface look just like a C library's, so I would think
it would be enough for what you want.