[MLton-user] Re: MLton and Cygwin installation

Wesley W. Terpstra wesley@terpstra.ca
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 20:45:30 +0100

On Dec 7, 2005, at 7:13 PM, Stephen Weeks wrote:
>> I've got MLton working (I think) - after I changed the value of
>> lib on
>> line 8 in the mlton bash script to :
>>
>> lib='C:/cygwin/usr/lib/mlton'
>
> Ah.  I think I understand.  To confirm, can you send the output of
> mount?  Recall that mine showed
>
>   C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
>   C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
>   C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
>   c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)
>
> I suspect that some difference in our Cygwin installs caused yours to
> not have those first two lines, which would explain why the MLton bash
> script couldn't find /usr/lib/mlton/.

I think it's more likely that he uncompressed the mlton tgz from a
windows
application, instead of cygwin's tar. This means that his directory tree
unpacked /usr/bin INTO /usr/bin, instead of /bin as the cygwin tar
would.
Now, cygwin can't find it, because the mount line hides the real /usr/
bin
with the copy of /bin. Using a full path bypasses the masking of mount.