[MLton-user] mlton on sparc-solaris10 ?

Bernard Berthomieu Bernard.Berthomieu@laas.fr
Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:45:54 +0100

Stephen Weeks wrote:

>>So, I recompiled the runtime and a simple hello-world.sml, dropping
>>the -fcall-used-g[57] options.  Everything then worked perfectly.

With this, my applications now perfectly work on Solaris 10 too. Wonderful !

>I just cross-compiled all our regressions, dropping -fcall-used, and
>ran them on a Solaris 10 machine.  They all passed.  So, I'm confident
>that this was the only problem.  As to why this option causes
>problems, I'd be happy to be enlightened by some
>Solaris/gcc/linker/whatever expert.

I just found a relevant thread in comp.unix.solaris archives (easy now :-)):

    http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.unix.solaris/2005-02/0394.html

g6 and g7 are reserved in Solaris 10.  On Solaris, g7 is used for
threads, but,
conversely to Solaris 9 and older, all Solaris 10 applications are
threaded ...

I've found nothing about g5 though, so it is probably enough to drop
-fcall-used-g7.

Many thanks for your help.

  Bernard.