[MLton-user] Feature request

Geoffrey Alan Washburn geoffw@cis.upenn.edu
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:46:54 -0400

Matthew Fluet wrote:

> I can't add much more than Tom's suggestion:  -verbose 1  will show
> the major compiler passes.  Admittedly, there isn't much fine grained
> timing for the x86 backend phases, though a good rule of thumb is that
> it usually takes about as much time as the pre-codegen phases.
>
> I you can be less "fluffy" in what kind of feedback would be useful,
> let us know.

    I suppose maybe I wasn't clear enough then.  I wasn't looking for
timing information, but rather an approximate percentage towards
completion.  This seems quite possible (keep track of how many subtrees
left to process, whatever), though I don't know enough about the
compiler internals to say how well such a thing would integrate.

--
[Geoff Washburn|geoffw@cis.upenn.edu|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/]