[MLton-user] PDF version of guide
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:48:28 -0400
It's not perfect, but it's a start.
$ yes | html2ps -U -W bL -R -t -H -n -D -C fb http://localhost/~adam/guide/=
$ ps2pdf mlton.ps
html2ps can be downloaded, and is also in Debian.
ps2pdf is part of ghostscript.
A few issues:
* Tables at the top are slightly messed up, can be
fixed with some option tweaking? Or pre-processing
of the HTML (may be the better option, since the=20
header stuff is sort of redundant).
* Evince in Fedora Core 4 doesn't display it correctly,=20
but xpdf does. Evince on FC4 has plenty of issues though,=20
so this is not necessarily a cause for concern.
* The table of contents comes at a strange place in the file.
* It takes a LONG time to process! Like 10 minutes! I have=20
no idea why, I think maybe it's the way the index is
* Files must be served through a webserver, because html2ps
gets confused if local files don't have ".html" at the end.
* The "yes" at the beginning is required, because for some
reason html2ps wants to ask confirmation for downloading
pages after a while.
Anyway, I hope this is useful. Let me know what sort of tweaks you need.
On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 10:02 -0700, Stephen Weeks wrote:
> > Any hope for a pdf file?
> Not likely for the forthcoming release, although we'd all like to see
> one. We're still looking for a good way to convert the wiki to pdf.
> If someone has a suggestion, and, especially, is willing to do the
> work to make it happen, please speak up.
> MLton-user mailing list
Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name=signature.asc
Content-Description: This is a digitally signed message part
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----