[MLton-user] PDF version of guide

Adam Goode adam@evdebs.org
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:48:28 -0400

--=-56jtF4TcyKJA7kRTm7FJ

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agoode/mlton.pdf

It's not perfect, but it's a start.

Made with:

$ yes | html2ps -U -W bL -R -t -H -n -D -C fb http://localhost/~adam/guide/=
  > mlton.ps
$ ps2pdf mlton.ps

html2ps can be downloaded, and is also in Debian.
ps2pdf is part of ghostscript.

A few issues:

  * Tables at the top are slightly messed up, can be
    fixed with some option tweaking? Or pre-processing
    of the HTML (may be the better option, since the=20
    header stuff is sort of redundant).

  * Evince in Fedora Core 4 doesn't display it correctly,=20
    but xpdf does. Evince on FC4 has plenty of issues though,=20
    so this is not necessarily a cause for concern.

  * The table of contents comes at a strange place in the file.

  * It takes a LONG time to process! Like 10 minutes! I have=20
    no idea why, I think maybe it's the way the index is
    generated.

  * Files must be served through a webserver, because html2ps
    gets confused if local files don't have ".html" at the end.

  * The "yes" at the beginning is required, because for some
    reason html2ps wants to ask confirmation for downloading
    pages after a while.

Anyway, I hope this is useful. Let me know what sort of tweaks you need.

Adam