[MLton-user] mlton on sparc-solaris10 ?

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:00:33 -0400 (EDT)

> We   are  having   trouble  running   on  a   sparc-solaris10  machine
> applications   build  by   mlton  on   a  sparc-solaris9   machine  (a
> SunFireV250).
>
> We  invariably   get  a  segmentation  fault,   unless  libraries  are
> statically linked  with the  application.

Have you tried compiling a simple program with  -debug true  on the
sparc-solaris9 machine and running the resulting executable on the
sparc-solaris10 machine?  The debug runtime includes a lot of asserts
which might point to a machine characteristic that changed.

> Also, mlton binary distributions (whether 20041109 or 20050423) do not
> run  on  that  sparc-solaris10  machine,  nor  do  any  simple  "hello
> world"-type applications  compiled on solaris9, so the  problem is not
> tied to our particular application.
>
> Is that the case for all sparc Solaris 10 machines, or just mine (a 890) ?

I don't know; we haven't had any other Solaris 10 problems reported, but
I'm afraid I don't know of a local Solaris 10 box around to try things on.