[MLton-user] Mac OS X on Intel

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:29:16 -0400 (EDT)

> To save me the mess of a possible failed install, could anyone tell me
> whether the Darwin 7.9.0 (Mac OS X) of the 20051202 binary packages
> will run on my shiny new Intel MacBook (running Mac OS X 10.4.6)?

I doubt the binary packages will run on an Intel Mac, as I'm confident
that they were compiled for a PowerPC Mac.  (Also, were the Intel Macs
even anounced by 2005-12-02?)

> If not, is it possible to build from sources on this platform?

It's unlikely that you can build the sources without modification on Intel
Macs.  As Darwin and x86 are independently working with MLton, it ought to
be relatively straightforward.  See
   http://mlton.org/PortingMLton
for the details.

You might also see this recent thread on the developers list:
   http://mlton.org/pipermail/mlton/2006-April/028584.html
Ville Laurikari is trying to port MLton to HP-UX on PA-RISC; again, this
is a situation where the architecture appears to be supported (under
Debian Linux) and a new OS is being added.