[MLton-user] Fixpoints

Vesa Karvonen vesa.karvonen@cs.helsinki.fi
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 11:22:34 +0300

Quoting Henry Cejtin <henry.cejtin@sbcglobal.net>:
[...]
> Connected to this is  one  of  my  peeves  with  ML  syntax:  the  fact  that
> application  associates to the left.  Clearly this was done to curry (BAD BAD
> pun) favor from the people who use curried arguments, but the  VAST  majority
> of  the  time  I  want  to  apply  a  function  to  the  result of a function
> application, not apply the result of a function to a variable.

In Haskell, the $ operator can sometimes help with that, see

  http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/Prelude.html#v%3A%24 .

See also "Application and piping operators" on http://mlton.org/InfixingOperators.

Personally, I'd use those operators more (in ML code that I post), but since
they are non-standard, there is a large overhead to communicate them, and so
I usually just grind my teeth and write ad hoc lambdas and extra parentheses.

-Vesa Karvonen