[MLton-user] MLRISC in MLton

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:57:28 -0500 (EST)

> i would like to ask you (any MLton user/developer :) about the status
> of MLRISC support in MLton. The MLRISC sources are not included in
> either MLton binary releases or sources (latest of 02-Dec-2005). Is
> there any MLton version (e.g. CVS, homebrewn etc) that has
> successfully added MLRISC. I'm interested in the developing compiler
> backends for new machines within MLRISC.

A couple of years ago, I did most of the work to 'port' the MLRISC sources
to MLton; essentially, eliminating the SML/NJ extensions.  I reported a
little on the experience at:
   http://mlton.org/pipermail/mlton/2004-February/025040.html

MLRISC has been mostly stable in the meantime, so it wouldn't be difficult
to update them and make them available.  I started porting MLRISC with the
vague notion of attempting to use it for MLton's backend, but I found that
the documentation on MLRISC leaves much to be desired in terms of actually
using it.  There is also some complication using MLRISC with SML/NJ's
compilation manager (CM), which was never entirely clear how to resolve.

So, while I could point you to some Standard ML sanitized code for MLRISC,
I'm afraid that I can't offer any advice on MLRISC itself.