[MLton-user] Re: MLton-user digest, Vol 1 #117 - 2 msgs

John Reppy jhr@cs.uchicago.edu
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 13:32:16 -0600

On Mar 26, 2006, at 5:00 AM, mlton-user-request@mlton.org wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:57:42 -0500 (EST)
> From: Matthew Fluet <fluet@cs.cornell.edu>
> To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Gr=F6nqvist?= <johan.gronqvist@gmail.com>
> cc: MLton-user@mlton.org
> Subject: Re: [MLton-user] Mostly MLton performance.
>
> The issue with many of the floating point operations is that the
> Standard
> ML Basis Library (www.standardml.org/Basis) is quite specific on the
> behavior of these operations when the arguments are INF, NAN, etc.
> Unfortunately, the math libraries for C often do not match the
> semantics
> required by the Basis, so we resort to specifically querying the
> class of
> the arguments and behave accordingly.

Actually, I don't believe that this claim is true.  When designing
the semantics
of the floating-point and Math library functions, we followed the C
floating-point
standard fairly closely (which has since been rolled into the C99
specification).
Are there specific examples where the specifications diverge?

	- John