[MLton-user] MLton installation on Mac OS X

Alley Stoughton stough@cis.ksu.edu
Mon, 8 May 2006 21:33:27 -0500

 > In the old Unix days at least, the linker would compare the time stamp on the
 > index that ranlib created with the time stamp of the file (probably mtime)
 > and would complain if the latter was more recent than the former.  This meant
 > that you had to re-run ranlib any time you copied the file (at least if you
 > did not preserve the timestamps).  That sounds like what is going on.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried using cp -pr to copy
usr/local/lib/mlton from my downloads directory to /usr/local/lib, and
things work now.

Another question, though:  I put the text

  print "Hello, world!\n";

in the file foo.sml, and then ran

$ time mlton foo.sml

real    0m15.079s
user    0m11.469s
sys     0m2.188s

Should I be surprised at how long it took?  I'm running Mac OS X
10.4.6 on a PowerBook G4.

Cheers,

Alley