[MLton-user] why sml matters?

Jesper Louis Andersen jesper.louis.andersen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:26:13 PDT 2006

On the note of the SML Basis being a Clib:

I am aware of the "STL"/"Clib" argument. I would also like to state that
given the view of what the Basis library is, it is indeed extremely good.
There are few Basis Libraries which are so worked through as the SML Basis
is. The problem, as I state, is that people are nowadays accustomed to big
standard libraries, wether we like it or not. So there should at least be a
way to bring source code into your project easily -- which brings me to:

On the common build system:

I agree totally on the view that SML need a build system which can join them
together. Common Lisp implementations are quite different also and they
still manage to have an Open Source de-facto standard for publishing code,
namely the ASDF (Another System Definition Format -- IIRC). If things are
provided by the basis or are provided via a library is today mostly
irrelevant. Even Java could not get their libraries right. Hence the Apache
Foundations commons-* libraries for "stuff missing in the standard library".

I think you are right. One should mayhaps keep a small Basis Library and
provide most of the Missing functionality via libraries on top of that.
Perl's CPAN is what provides XML parsing capabilities to Perl, for example.