[MLton-user] experimental x86-darwin packages

Matthew Fluet fluet at cs.cornell.edu
Mon Oct 30 14:53:21 PST 2006

> I ran an example program of mine that takes about 30 mins, and got
> better performance on my Mac with a 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo processor
> limited to 800Mb than a linux PC with an Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz
> limited to 1600Mb. [The memory limitation is derived from the compiler
> option -runtime ram-slop 0.4 I use on both systems, and the Mac has
> only 2Gb compared to the PC's 4Gb.]

Interesting result.  The assembly code produced for x86-linux and
x86-darwin should be identical, modulo the Darwin 'calling convention' for
external functions, which requires some indirect stubs.

> The version of MLton on the PC is built from sources in June 2006, and
> both versions use the compiler option -drop-pass deepFlatten because
> of the compiler bug that I exposed a while back. By the way, has that
> bug been fixed yet?

/doc/changelog shows

* 2006-06-24
    - Fixed a bug in pass to flatten data structures.  Thanks to Joe Hurd
      for the bug report.

Sorry you went so long without picking up the fix.

> More generally, is there a MLton bug tracking
> system so that I can see when my favourite bugs are fixed?

Not really.  /doc/changelog and the page
   http://www.mlton.org/BugsYYYYMMMDD (20051202 for the latest release)
is the best bet.

I guess bugzilla or some such would be an option.