[MLton-user] mlton-20070826 on mingw

Bernard Berthomieu Bernard.Berthomieu at laas.fr
Mon Dec 17 09:50:28 PST 2007

Dear Matthew,
> If you have a 'static' version available, upload it to TemporaryUpload
> and I'll move it to Experimental.
I just uploaded the following file. Please let me know if it worked or
not ...

    mlton-20070826.x86-mingw.gmp-static.tgz

For compiling mlton on mingw, with static gmp, one just needs the standard
msys distribution, bash and gcc4, all found in the mingw download area.
Of course, one must also put a copy of gmp.h (static version) into
/mingw/include, and a copy of libgmp.a into /mingw/lib.

With the current mlton sources, you also need to patch files
runtime/platform/mingw.(h|c)
as follows:
    in runtime/platform/mingw.h : remove declarations of timezone and
gettimeofday
    in runtime/platform/mingw.c : modify the type of the second
parameter of gettimeofday to (void *)

That's all for mingw.

I could also recompile mlton 20070826 on a x86-solaris station, from
Scott's port and
the 20070826 sources, and using the patch Scott published a few months
ago on the user's
list. I'm using this port quite often and never had any problem. Another
prebuilt candidate ?

Finally, I recently made some experiments with the x86_64 version of mlton,
on a linux server (centos 5) with a large memory (208Gb). I tried some
examples
requiring huge amounts of memory (> 100Gb). The mlton built applications
resisted, as well as centos !
Now, I observed a significant loss of performances compared to running
32 bit
applications on the same machine, I measured 64 bit code roughly 25% slower
than 32 bit code (ratio 1.25/1). I was wondering if there was some way
to improve
64 bit running times by tuning the gcc flags or even the mlton basis
library ?

Best Regards,

  Bernard.