[MLton-user] NLFFI incompatibility with SML/NJ?

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sun Feb 25 11:05:37 PST 2007

I've had great success using the NLFFI with both MLton and SML/NJ in the
development of an OpenSSL binding.  However, there's one nagging
difference that I've found in the typing of the automatically-generated
signatures, forcing me to create my own tiny "compatibility" signature
that has different implementations for the different compilers.

The example I've come across so far has to do with the return type of,
for instance, C.Get.uchar'.  In SML/NJ, the right WORD structure to use to
manipulate these values is Word32.  In MLton, it seems to be
MLRep.Char.Unsigned.

Have I missed a common alias for these structures that works in both
MLton and SML/NJ?