[MLton-user] Separable front end?

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Sun Feb 25 17:01:44 PST 2007

Stephen Weeks wrote:
>> MLton certainly produces abstract syntax trees as part of compilation
>> (/mlton/ast/* files in the source code distribution).  But, it isn't
>> really a separate module.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "not a separate module".  Ast (ast/*)
> and the pass that produces it (front-end/front-end.sig) are separate
> modules.  It seems like it would be easy enough to hack something in
> that spits out scheme (or whatever) from the Ast, just after the front
> end produces it.

I meant a module suitable for use separate from the MLton compiler.
Though, now that I look at it, the dependencies of
/mlton/ast/sources.mlb are "just" the MLton Library (/lib/mlton/*) and
the compiler controls (/mlton/control/*).  So, I guess it wouldn't be
too hard to put together a program that just used the mlton/ast/* and
mlton/front-end/* components.