[MLton-user] IEEEReal rounding not working

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Thu Jul 26 18:40:52 PDT 2007

>>  I'd hate to lose optimizations, as I switched from O'Caml because the
>>  floating point computations were so much faster in my application.
>
> My guess is that it wouldn't be that bad.  I suspect that floating-point
> operations susceptible to CSE are rare; certainly, much rarer than integer,
> array/vector, and tuple operations susceptible to CSE.

I checked in the change to the treatment of floating-point operations; it
has a negligible effect on the floating-point intensive benchmarks.  I
suspect that the performance improvement over OCaml mainly comes from
MLton using unboxed reals.

MLton0 -- ~/devel/mlton/mlton.svn.trunk/build/bin/mlton (* FP ops Functional *)
MLton1 -- ~/devel/mlton/mlton.svn.trunk.fpops/build/bin/mlton (* FP ops DependsOnState *)
run time ratio
benchmark       MLton0 MLton1
barnes-hut        1.00   1.02
fft               1.00   0.96