[MLton-user] Re: Apparent bug in PackWord32Big.subVec

Ryan Newton newton at mit.edu
Thu Jun 21 18:48:45 PDT 2007

Well, darn, I just sent an incomplete message to a mailing list.  It
looks like I accidentally hit whatever the gmail keystroke for "send"
is.

To explain the incomplete end of the previous message:

I wanted to also check to see if anyone has thought further about adding:
> PackWord16Big

As had been discussed here in 2004:
> http://osdir.com/ml/lang.ml.mlton.user/2004-11/msg00011.html

Also, I have a general question about the SML Basis wrt
Pack<N>Big.subVec.  It seems baffling to me that the index provided to
subVec is interpreted as a multiple of element size, rather than
allowing you to index at arbitrary byte locations.  I want to use it
to project numbers of different size from a heterogeneous object in
memory (read in the BinIO).  Is there any other good way to do this in
MLton (aside from dropping down into C and using the FFI)?

Finally, at the end of my last message was a trace of the error
message I get when I try to bootstrap rev 5666 with MLton 20051202...
in case anyone recognizes it and can give me a hand.

Thanks!
-Ryan