[MLton-user] Fwd: Plans for pickling in MLton?

Matthew Fluet fluet at tti-c.org
Sun Oct 7 04:18:41 PDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Roland Olsson <roland.olsson at hiof.no>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:39:06 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Plans for pickling in MLton?
To: MLton-user at mlton.org

I have been using MLton for MPI programming the past years and would like
to have support for pickling, also known as serialization, in order to
more easily be able to send and receive data objects. Even if there are
combinators for pickling, such as the ones published by Andrew Kennedy and
others, it would make life easier to have pickling "built-in" in MLton.

If it was possible to also send closures, that is "objects with function
pointers" among SPMD programs, parallel programming with MPI and MLton
would be even easier.

OCaml has had pickling, including closures, for a few years now.

Are there any plans among the MLton developers to implement pickling? If
so, how far advanced is the implementation?

Generally speaking, I am very satisfied with MLton, especially the
robustness and relative lack of bugs in the compiler, and hope that its
development will continue.

Cheers,

Roland