[MLton-user] Solaris x86/amd64 MLton build

Scott Cruzen sic at lerp.com
Tue Oct 9 14:24:48 PDT 2007

* Ville Laurikari <ville at laurikari.net> [071009 11:24]:
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 04:51:38PM +0200, Bernard Berthomieu wrote:
> > We would make a good use of a amd64-solaris port too.
> > Did this port attempt by Ville succeed ?
>
> Here's a status report:
>
> I built an mlton binary for amd64-solaris by cross compiling it with
> the C codegen Linux.  The plan was to bootstrap using the C codegen,
> and build with the native amd64 codegen after that.
>
> Unfortunately, the binary built with the C codegen does not work
> completely.  It works enough to print it's help text and version
> number, but trying to compile a hello world application seems to
> busyloop forever (at least a few minutes).
>
> My intention was to debug this further, but I got sidetracked with
> other things.

I successfully built mlton for Solaris 10 x86, a tar of the install
directory is here:
http://lerp.com/~sic/sml/mlton-20070826-solaris-bin.tar.gz

This uses static gmp (from OpenPKG) and all regressions pass using the
native codegen. It seems that the version of GCC I'm using (4.2.1) is
affected by the bug that's been mentioned regarding segfaults during
compilation with profiling info.

Here's a diff -uwr of clean mlton-20070826-1.src.tgz and the sources I
built from:
http://lerp.com/~sic/sml/mlton-20070826-solaris.diff.gz

On Solaris we use OpenPKG packages, so there are likely a few
differences in this patch between someone using only packages from Sun
(or Blastwave or Sun Freeware). But the binaries should be useful as
they are, or as a starting point.