[MLton-user] Working: MLton/Win64 toolchain

Wesley W. Terpstra terpstra at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:06:14 PDT 2008

I'm happy to announce that MLton now works perfectly on 64-bit windows using
the native codegen. Please give it a spin and report any problems. It has
only been tested on Win2003/64 and I would be very interested in hearing
reports about XP64 and Vista64.

A complete toolchain (no additional software required) can be found at:
http://www.dvs.tu-darmstadt.de/staff/terpstra/mlton-20080808.win64.zip If
someone could move this to the Experimental page on the wiki, I would
appreciate it (I don't have write permissions there). Be warned that the
toolchain is a 180MB download.

To use the toolchain, uncompress the zip file wherever you like. The
contained MLton\bin\mlton.bat should work from the windows shell. If you
want to run the included 'msys.bat' to get a UNIX-like environment (make,
sed, tar, etc), you must decompress the tarball to a location which does not
include spaces in the path name. To rebuild MLton/svn, use 'make
all-no-docs' in a checkout with the msys shell.

The toolchain includes:
* a 20080728 mingw-w64 toolchain
* gmp-mpfr mingw64 fork, 20080604
* msys 1.0.11pre, 20070119
* MLton r6698, 20080808

There remain problems with code generated by mingw-w64 gcc. The mingw
toolchain included is actually 32 bit, cross-compiling to 64 in order to
avoid problems with the native compiled linker. For this reason, I don't
advise using the c-codegen. The bytecodegen and amdcodegen are fine as gcc
has very little to do.