[MLton-user] SVN r6941 MLton/MinGW32 and FFI

Ville Laurikari ville at laurikari.net
Tue Nov 11 09:08:01 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 04:15:26PM +0100, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> I'm also beginning to wonder if perhaps imports should default to
> public instead of external given the number of people who've run into
> the __imp__ link error.

I think this is a good idea.  We've certainly run into the problem.
Upgrading to a new version of MLton is problematic, because code
updated for the new version does not work with the old version.  On
the other hand, code working with the old version does not work with
the new version.

This means that as soon as we commit code which uses explicit symbol
scoping, builds start failing an all hosts which don't have an updated
MLton version yet (quite a few).  If there is any way to keep MLton
backwards compatible, it would help a lot as people would be able to
upgrade when they feel like it.

By the way, it occured to me if nlffigen should be modified in some
way.  The trunk version does not include an explicit scope when it
generates code that uses _address.   Will this be a problem?  I
suppose importing variables may not work in some circumstances (we
import only functions at the moment...)

--
http://www.iki.fi/vl/