[MLton-user] Linking (?) 'print' means I can only run from the mingw command line

Vesa Karvonen vesa.a.j.k at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 06:36:50 PDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley at terpstra.ca> wrote:
[...]
> I tend towards option #2. stdin&out can come from openIn/Out "NUL". However,
> if stderr is missing one loses exception information. Perhaps it could
> create a popup window. A TextPrimIO.writer that creates a window and adds
> text on write* calls shouldn't be that hard to implement.

BTW, this issue was also underlying the thread starting here:

  http://mlton.org/pipermail/mlton/2007-June/029811.html

Basically, some code was failing and (IIRC) then the program went into
an infinite memory hogging loop, because the default handler couldn't
write to stderr.

With the current MLton one can set the top-level handler in SML and do
whatever one wants there.

A default behavior where (at least) something gets displayed (in a
message box), could be nice to have.  I don't know how intrusive the
change (to handle the "write* calls") would be.  Perhaps it would be
good enough to just show a message box (in the default top-level
handler) to the effect that one needs to setup a custom top-level
handler to see exception message.

-Vesa Karvonen