[MLton-user] Explosion in MLton compilation time

David Hansel hansel at reactive-systems.com
Mon Jun 22 12:56:20 PDT 2009

Hi,

Thanks for your response.  We understand of course that diagnosing this
issue without access to the source code will be hard.  We appreciate any help
you can provide in either tracking down the root cause of this issue or
possible workarounds.

Matthew Fluet wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Dan DuVarney wrote:
>> One question I have is: Are there any compile-time constants which might
>> prevent the compile-time increase? We are already dropping the
>> deepFlatten pass.
>
> Obviously, you can '-drop-pass simplifyTypes -drop-pass refFlatten' to
> omit the offending passes.

What kind of consequences should we expect from using those flags?  Are
those passes an important part of the optimizations MLton does to the code
or are the improvements usually rather minor?

Best regards,

David

--
  David Hansel