[MLton-user] MLton on mswin7 absurdly slow ?

John B Thiel jbthiel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 11:18:07 PST 2011

Hello, I'm familiar with other functional languages, but new to MLton.
 I was trying out MLton on a Windows 7 notebook with 1M ram, via the
MinGW installation from your site, file = MLton-20100608-1.msi   .

It takes 5 minutes and 300MB of core to compile a helloworld.sml with one line:
   print "Hello, world!\n";

and it keeps taking that long on subsequent tries.  (I thought maybe
the very first pass it was building some libraries... thus tried a few
times)

Presumably this is not working as designed ?   The documentation
mentions builds of the full system itself can take "five to ten
minutes",  but surely a simple file should be a matter of seconds?

John