contification paper: introduction

Stephen Weeks MLton@sourcelight.com
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:57:08 -0800 (PST)

>  I don't quite follow the last sentence of the first paragraph (don't
> worry, I've read and editted beyond there).  I guess you mean that
> compilation should be a staged process, progressing as a sequence of
> transformations on the program.

Actually, I meant that not only should the IL be similar, but the compiler
should translate the source into the IL in such a way that the intermediate
programs look similar, else you have no reason to believe traditional
optimizations will do anything -- an oblique way of saying you want to exctract
intraprocedural information from a functional source program.