binary RPM

Martin Elsman mael@dirac.dina.kvl.dk
05 Oct 2001 17:23:41 +0200

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Weeks <sweeks@intertrust.com> writes:

> Hi guys.  I just installed the mlkit 4.0 binary RPM and noticed that it doesn't
> contain an executable called "mlkit" (or any other obvious executable).  Is this
> intentional?

Because the mlkit rpm is relocatable and because the mlkit-executable
needs to know about where on the file system the kit is installed, the
executable file /usr/bin/mlkit is generated in the post-installation
phase of the rpm-installation. Thus the file /usr/bin/mlkit is not
listed when executing ``rpm -ql mlkit'', although the file
/usr/bin/mlkit is on your system after an install.

Cheers,

Martin