I suspect I am stupid again

Stephen Weeks MLton@sourcelight.com
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:34:55 -0700

> I can't tell if Option is raised in your code or in mine...
>
> mlton -v NW/mltonsrc.sml
> MLton starting
> MLton raised in 66.32 + 81.49 (55% GC)
> mlton: unhandled exception: Option
>

> The offending code is at http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nr/lrtl.sml

This code tickles at least 2 MLton bugs.  The bugs are in a couple of optional
optimization passes that can be turned off from the command line.  The following
call will successfully compile lrtl.sml until we track down the bugs.

mlton -drop-pass contify1 -drop-pass contify2 -drop-pass contify3 -drop-pass unusedArgs3 lrtl.sml

Using this, I was able to compile lrtl.sml and generate a 15M executable.
Unfortunately, contification is one the offending passes, and is very important
for performance, so the code size and speed are probably quite poor.

We will let you know when we find and fix the bugs.  Thanks very much for the
bug report.