[MLton-devel] Problem with -exn-history true

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:58:50 -0700

> Back to the robustness problem we have with -exn-history true.
>
> I performed the action you asked, relaunching with -type-check
> true). The result is included here:
>             useless starting
>             useless raised in 3.09 + 0.0 (0.0% GC)
>          closureConvertSimplify raised in 21.65 + 3.62 (14% GC)
>       pre codegen raised in 68.61 + 31.97 (32% GC)
>    Compile SML raised in 68.61 + 31.97 (32% GC)
> MLton raised in 68.61 + 31.97 (32% GC)
> mlton: x_0 has no analyze var value property
>
> How can we proceed ? Thanks.

This means that constant propagation produced valid code according to
the type checker but that the useless analysis still encountered an
undefined variable.

Now, I would compile with "-keep-pass constantPropagation".  This will
save files z.constantPropagation.{pre,post}.ssa.  This should change
the variable named in the error message to some variable in
z.constantPropagation.post.ssa.  If you could send me both of those
ssa files, or at least the function that contains the offending
variable in the post file, I can hopefully identify the problem.