[MLton-devel] A CM replacement for MLton

Matthew Fluet fluet@cs.cornell.edu
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:19:13 -0400 (EDT)

> There is one system that I wanted to study but didn't -- I recall an
> email sent to sml-implementers some time back from some people at CMU
> describing some attempt to specify dependencies and handle separate
> compilation.  I couldn't find it, but would be interested to look at
> it again if someone digs it up.

I think this is the one you are thinking of:

Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 14:24:54 -0400
From: David Swasey <swasey@cs.cmu.edu>
To: sml-implementers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Sml-implementers] compilation management

Here is our description of TILT's compilation management system.
Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

David Swasey and Tom Murphy

|Separate Compilation and Cut-off Recompilation in the TILT Compiler|

We describe the compilation management system used by the TILT
compiler. Ours is one of many designs capable of supporting separate
compilation as well as cut-off recompilation. In contrast to systems
such as CM, we require the user to specify a dependency relation among
compilation units as well as an order for link-time effects and we do
not (yet) support the important notion of hierarchial modularity.

I can't get to SourceForge's sml-implementer's archive to find the URL; I
can bounce it if you are interested.