[MLton] MLton on Debian hppa, powerpc, and sparc

Stephen Weeks MLton@mlton.org
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 06:37:12 -0700

> >   Package declares a build time dependency on mlton (>= 20020410.1)
> > which cannot be satisfied on powerpc. Package mlton does not exist
> > on powerpc.
>
> I've uploaded a package for this.

Thanks.  Do you happen to know where I can see on the web that this
upload occurred?

> I got flamed on #debian-devel b/c they didn't like a package which
> builds itself. However, I think they are mistaken, and it is the
> right thing to do.

I completely agree.  Do such people also complain about gcc building
itself?  Blech.

> Nevertheless, having mlton depend on both the shared library and the
> development headers is a recipe for trouble if this happens again.

It was a recipe for trouble already in this case :-), requiring the
libgmp fix you mentioned.  Are you saying it could be more trouble in
the future?

> So, maybe (for mlton only) it makes sense to staticly link in
> libgmp. This way, any version of libgmp3 can be installed for
> building the new mlton. OTOH, if there is a security problem with
> libgmp3, a new upload of mlton will be required.

Yeah, this is a good solution.  At least it must be done in order to
facilitate the transition.

> Eeek! Please, don't re-upload to fix this.  If you do, my current
> sparc build will be wasted.  After I get sparc uploaded, feel free.

Sorry, I already uploaded a fix (a broken one, using -static).  I'm
building a package right now statically linking MLton only with
libgmp.  Since you're already screwed, I might as well upload that and
then hold off until you're ready.  Perhaps you should also subscribe
to the MLton package at

  http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mlton.html

That way you will get upload notices, right?