[MLton] Re: Hurd on l4 / ConcurrentML

Duraid Madina duraid at kinoko.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Fri Aug 11 07:59:19 PDT 2006

Hi Guillaume, (hi everyone!)

It's certainly possible to write an MLton back-end targeting LLVM but
unfortunately, I haven't yet found the time to sit down and do it. I still
hope to get around to it some day, but I must confess that I haven't been in
much of a hurry since I managed to build MLton using LLVM's "mutant GCC"
front-end. For now, if anyone wants to do some low-level manipulation of
programs built with MLton, they can just drop llvm-gcc in place of gcc and
they will be left with LLVM IR on their disk. You can then go and write your
LLVM transformation passes just as you normally would, though obviously some
things won't be as straightforward since everything will be passing through
a C bottleneck.

For now, I can do all the LLVM-related work I want to do anyway - the C
bottleneck isn't a terribly big problem for me right now, and it probably
won't be for you.

	Duraid